Since 1951, Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre has presented educational theatre programming to children and families in our community. Today, Playtime Poppy carries on the tradition, offering interactive children’s theatre productions and arts-integrated education for students and for families.
High School Productions
In partnership with Jefferson, Kennedy, and Washington High Schools, Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre presents three children’s theatre productions annually.
Outdoor Children’s Theater
In partnership with Brucemore, Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre presents Brucemore Outdoor Children’s Theater at the Peggy Boyle Whitworth Amphitheater.
Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre provides educational theatre experiences throughout the year for CRCSD students:
- Book Adventures an interactive storytelling program for kindergarten to promote reading comprehension.
- Operation Backstage a hands-on behind-the-scenes tour of technical theatre for 3rd graders to explore lighting, sound, costumes and more.
- One Great Line an arts-integrated classroom program for 5th graders to use the design process to dramatize selected lines of literature.
- Matinee Performances offered exclusively to K-5 and patrons with special needs, enhanced with an audience guide.
and for the community:
- Ready 10! an interactive storytelling program for preschoolers to promote kindergarten readiness.
- Summer Theatre Adventure a week-long immersive theatre experience for ages 7 – 14 to engage with theatre, culture and community.
Giving back to students
Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre annually awards a college scholarship to talented young thespians at Cedar Rapids Community School District high schools.
Get involved with Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre
If you want to be part of the Playtime Poppy Children’s Theatre’s family of volunteers and donors, contact us today! Your support will continue to grow imaginative theatre productions and education programs in the community.